Asantys Systems – Sunlight & batteries fuelled eco-safari (Tanzania)
Who, What & Where
- Asantys Systems
- Sunlight & batteries fuelled eco-safari
- Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Asantys Systems is as a wholesaler offering you a wide range of solar components from quality manufacturers at very competitive prices.
Besides wholesaling Asantys Systems as a system integrator offers its partners all required services for a successful turnkey project – worldwide.
Disconnected from the Tanzanian utility grid, Tanganyika Expeditions operates its safari lodges in Serengeti using solar energy and lead battery storage.
- Environmental and noise pollution was addressed by replacing conventional vehicles with e-vehicle solutions
- Landcruisers’ retrofitting was resolved by finding a suitable company to provide this service
The eco-safari has converted some of their safari vehicles from diesel to electric vehicles. Both the safari and service vehicles are charged using the solar power system provided by Asantys Systems.
|Max capacity of vehicle(s)||Toyota Landcruiser safari and service vehicles with a capacity of five to eight seats were used. High-quality modifications were made to the vehicles giving them a second (more sustainable) life.|
|Decision on target market||Site selection was based on factors including:
Benefits of the solution:
|Energy requirements for individual vehicles||Battery capacity of 40-80 kWh depending on the electric safari vehicle model|
|Max operating distance per single charge||130-240 km depending on the electric safari vehicle model|
|Inhouse DRE capacity to power e-mobility solution||
|Energy storage & backup power||220 kWh battery for each solar power system with SMA SunnyIsland
Project Financing and Costs
< 1,000,000 EUR
- Asantys Systems (solar system integrator)
- Tanganyika Expeditions (safari lodge)
- Harald Olk (energy consultant and project developer)
- Elektro Fleck (provider of the individual solution to convert fuel cars to e-cars)
- Lowered costs to run the lodges
- Reduced emissions and noise for the animals and visitors
- CO2 emissions avoided
- Independence from conventional fuel usage
- Powering the lodges with clean solar energy
- Find capable local partners
- Ensure long-lasting partnerships with the local stakeholders including beneficiaries
- Ensure quality assurance of products