CORE is an international initiative initiated by the Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE), International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL), UN Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and International Copper Association (ICA). CORE is managed by ARE.
Its mission is to enable resilient rural and peri-urban communities by ensuring safety, efficiency and reliability become the cornerstone of decentralised electrification.
CORE offers technical assistance to:
- Practitioners (including design engineers, technicians, installers and operators) on aspects related to improving safety, efficiency and reliability of decentralised electrification projects
- Communities (especially women) on productive use of electricity
- Governments on enhancing the policy and regulatory framework in support of decentralised electrification
CORE offers its technical assistance through:
- CORE Academy: an online training platform providing certified training for DRE practitioners
- Cooperation with ongoing or planned projects focused on decentralised rural electrification
- Tailored assistance based on requests
- Resource library: a collection of decentralised renewable energy (DRE) training materials and guidelines