ARE Awards 2020 – Call for Proposals Open
ARE invites applicants to submit their project proposals by 17 January 2020
In order to offer the opportunity to empower the people worldwide to decide the course of their lives through education, health and socio-economic development – universal, reliable, affordable, and sustainable energy access for all is essential.
By organising the Awards 2020, ARE wishes to highlight the clean energy access results achieved by the most passionate and innovative actors in the sector as well as to further increase their impact by sharing latest knowledge to new stakeholders.
Attracting more sustainable investments to Africa, Asia-Pacific and Latin-America/ Caribbean is key to advance further on SDG 7 that again will spur progress across most of the other SDGs. With this in mind ARE, together with the jury, has adapted the categories for this edition of the ARE Awards.
ARE will again reward the most effective initiative and/or project implemented with one Award per category. The ARE Awards 2020 Ceremony will take place on Day 1 of the 6th ARE Energy Access Investment Forum in Lusaka (Zambia) on 18-19 March 2020.
ARE Awards 2020 Categories
The ARE Awards 2020 will celebrate 6 categories for projects implemented in 2019:
- Category 1: Multilateral / International Organisations
- Category 2: Public Bodies and Non-Profit Organisations
- Category 3: Win-Win Partnerships (e.g. nexus work, multi-sectoral collaboration)
- Category 4: Best De-Risking & Finance Scheme
- Category 5: Best Start-Up
- Category 6: Best Women Empowerment Initiative
Applicants should structure their submission in a way that clearly addresses the following selection criteria:
- Effectiveness to contribute to new energy access provided or existing energy access advanced
- Financial Sustainability
- Engagement with project beneficiaries / Participation of local population
- Adequate risk management
- Positive socio-economic impact
- Impact on CO2 reduction
- Innovation potential for replication and upscaling
Selection Process of Winners
- Any institution, company or formal entity can apply for the ARE Awards 2020. Each candidate can apply for a maximum of two categories (e.g. category 4 and 5), which should be clearly stated in their respective submission.
- If third parties were involved in the project, candidates are required to have their explicit and signed acceptation for the submission of the project for the ARE Awards 2020.
- We would like to ask you to inform us about suitable candidates and to justify them, accordingly.
- Deadline: 17 January 2020 (please submit your application form for the ARE Awards 2020 to Inken Hoeck)
- ARE will inform winners and invite them for ARE Awards Ceremony by 31 January 2020.
Prize for ARE Awards 2020 Winners
- Free access to the 6th ARE Energy Access Investment Forum (incl hotel stay for 3 nights)
- Free stand at the Forum Exhibition
- Pitch to high-level stakeholders and funders
- Global Promotion throughout the ARE network
ARE Awards 2020 Jury
- ARE – Claudio Pedretti (Chair), Board Member
- AfDB – Daniel Schroth, Advisor to the Vice President for Power, Energy, Climate & Green Growth
- GET.invest – Jan Cloin, Deputy Team Leader
- IRENA – Salvatore Vinci, Deputy Director, Country Support & Partnerships Division
- REEEP – John Tkacik, Director of Energy Analytics
- REN21 – Arthouros Zervos, Chair
- SACREEE – Kuda Ndhlukula, Executive Director
- SEforALL TAF – Kandeh Yumkella / Moderator Africa-Europe High-Level Platform for Sustainable Energy Investments in Africa
- UNIDO – Rana Ghoneim, Chief, Energy Systems & Infrastructure Division
ARE Awards Secretariat
The ARE Awards 2020 is organised by ARE together with its Member University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm / Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften Neu-Ulm (HNU). In case of questions, please contact Amanda Soler or Inken Hoeck.
For further information on the ARE Awards 2019 winners, kindly refer to the press release.