Economic and Social Development of Women through Renewable Energies in the Sahel (DESFERS)
Kaolack and Casamance region, Senegal
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
Needs assessment in the communities demonstrated high levels of gender inequality, socially, economically and culturally, which created a major barrier to women’s participation in economic activities.33 Introducing DRE to the communities with their support and engagement, and empowering women to be the key leaders and agents of related income-generating activities (IGAs) had major potential to transform traditional gender roles and empower women and girls. DRE solutions will be used in this project because of their potential to increase existing IGAs’ productivity and effectiveness contributing to the economic sustainability of the communities.
The chosen technical solutions range from small pico-PV systems to PV Solar Micro-Grids (SMG). Solar Lighting System (SLS), Solar Home System (SHS), productive use systems (e.g., pumping systems, milling systems, cooling systems, etc) and Multi-Functional solar Platform (MFP) will be implemented.
Approximately 3 million EUR is being funded for the project work being carried out in Senegal. 80% of the total budget is a grant by EUROPEAID and the remaining 20% will be covered by the project consortium through grants (10% Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund for International Development already secured).
The project aims to facilitate the 1,500 small and medium-sized enterprises of women (from 200 Saving groups) access to entrepreneurship in the sustainable energy sector in Senegal, by developing a favourable context, by facilitating access to credit and solar energy; and by strengthening the capacities of women and operators of integrated energy services.
The goal of Plan international is to use this or a similar model to ensure decent social and economic development for women and youth in the more than 50 developing countries where it is currently working. The network and platform for exchange on this experience easily reach the target of 160,000 women in Senegal.