E.ON Off Grid solutions aims to be the energy service partner of choice for off grid solutions. We currently test a business model for mini-grids and stand alone solutions that allow productive use in rural Africa. We currently have electrified 10 villages in Tanzania as well as one rural mining customer.
Our company installed our first system at the end of 2014 and since then we have been ramping up our business throughout Tanzania and are in the midst of expanding the business further afield.
The job is based in Arusha, Tanzania. You will work closely with the Engineering Director who will be predominantly based in Europe. This necessitates a candidate who is able to work independently and of their own initiative to meet the companies goals.
- Provide clear engineering leadership in the definition and resolution of technical issues as they occur.
- Support Operations team locally with detailed technical issues and queries as requested and required locally
- Where appropriate define and implement new processes and ways of working to ensure learnings are captured and to ensure future issues are avoided.
- Where necessary travel to sites to undertake maintenance activities and trouble shooting
- Liaise with contractors to ensure work is delivered on time and to the required, high standards.
- Undertake detailed testing and analysis of new engineering solutions (Mechanical, Electrical and electronic to test for robustness and applicability to the local environment
- Good university degree in science, engineering or similar and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Technical knowledge in energy systems, preferably involving solar PV, batteries and diesel generation is required
- Hands-on experience in electrical power systems or similar technical field is required.
- Experience managing contractors and working with external parties
- Ability to identify a problem, define how a problem is to be resolved and to see the resolution carried out all independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary, international team in multiple locations
- Fluent in English, in speech and writing. Swahili in addition is preferred.
- Familiar with Tanzanian / East African cultures; work experience in Tanzania or neighbouring countries preferred
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
Bonus Skills and qualifications
- Entrepreneurial thinking and excellent communication skills as well as strong team orientation
- Experience in managing a team or direct line management a plus.
If interested, please submit your cover letter and CV with references to email@example.com with the subject “Application for Senior Engineer”.
Download the full job description
As soon as possible