We started Bboxx to tackle a major global problem: energy poverty. Currently, 840 million people live without access to energy, of which 650 million are in Africa. An additional billion people are connected to an unreliable grid.
We design, manufacture, distribute and finance decentralised energy solutions.
We are a vertically integrated business and our business model is based: our physical (distribution network) and digital (Bboxx Pulse) highways, our bold technology (hardware and software), and our partnerships.
Our Bboxx Pulse® platform enables next generation utility businesses to scale and reach their customers that are dispersed across remote locations.
We are expanding and scaling by forging strategic partnerships with governments and world-class corporates.
As a Product Design Engineer at Bboxx you will be responsible for the mechanical design of our range of solar home system products, as well as of the production and test equipment used to manufacture them. Joining our hardware development team, you will design the physical layouts and external casings of our next generation of products, translating marketing and brand requirements into exciting designs that meet functional and cost targets. You will oversee the design process end-to-end, from requirement gathering, concepting, final design, all the way to mass production. You will produce design sketches, 3D CAD models, renderings, and physical prototypes to progress the design process. In addition, you will lead the design and realisation of the physical test jigs, registration rigs, and other equipment needed for our production, testing, and repair processes.
About the role
- Lead the physical design of our solar home system products by engineering the product layout, form-factor, positioning of key system components such as batteries, control boards, UI/UX switches, buttons, displays etc.
- Work with our hardware engineers to inform the design of key system components such as PCBAs and batteries.
- Design and develop high-quality product casings and production equipment using appropriate materials, production processes and DFMA techniques.
- Guide the design process through initial concept sketches, physical mock-ups, CAD modelling, prototyping and into production.
- Validate and the designs at each stage of development (3D print, tooling design, certification, release etc.).
- Lead the physical design of tools and equipment needed in our production and repair process, for example test jigs, registration rigs.
- Work with our suppliers to inform the design work and ensure feasibility and cost optimisation of all designs.
- Design and release product packaging, labels, stickers, installation guides and other support materials.
- Create and publish extensive documentation and support materials for key stakeholders.
- Design concept development: sketching + prototyping.
- 3D CAD: parametric solid model and assembly creation for mass production using common industry software (Autocad Fusion 360 or Solidworks experience preferred).
- Advanced rendering of 3D designs (Keyshot experience preferred).
- Hands-on model-making and 3D prototyping.
- Visual communication skills: use of photographic and computer-generated illustrations to effectively convey technical content and design intent (Photoshop and/or Illustrator experience preferred).
- Technical drawings and assembly layouts.
- Ability to create and manage product Bills of Materials.
- Experience bringing consumer electrical products through design phase to production.
- Experience producing documentation (user manuals, assembly instructions. packing materials).
- Ability to work well as part of a multifunction, multi-location international design team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
As soon as possible