SunFunder is a solar energy finance business with a mission to provide financing for solar assets in emerging economies, including inventory, working capital, construction, and structured finance loans.We offer borrowers a deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships, while simultaneously providing investors with diversified, high-impact, fixed income debt offerings of emerging market solar investments.
Mirova SunFunder currently has three funds under management and is launching the new $500 million Gigaton Empowerment Fund to support our 2030 vision of being the world’s leading fund manager for climate investments in emerging markets and underserved communities. This ambitious fund will deepen our footprint in financing the clean energy transition in Sub-Saharan Africa, while also expanding into new geographies like Southeast Asia and explore new high-impact segments like e-mobility and natural capital. We are hiring an Investment Officer to join our investments team based in Nairobi to support this scale. As an Investment Officer, your primarily responsibility will be to execute debt investments for clean energy companies and projects across emerging markets. You will work alongside our Investment Analysts and Investment Directors, and partner with the legal, ESG, risk, compliance and portfolio teams to grow our portfolio of high-impact debt investments in existing and new markets and/or segments in a responsible manner.
About the role
- Lead the full investment cycle including origination, desk and onsite due diligence and credit risk assessments of existing and/or potential counterparties, building relationships, negotiating and structuring transactions to financial close.
- Support origination efforts by developing client relationships from an early stage and maintaining those relationships through the investment cycle.
- Develop and manage client relationships, lead negotiation of transaction terms and documentation.
- Manage internal and external stakeholders to ensure a smooth process from identification through to financial close.
- Maintain high-quality relationships with customers for portfolio monitoring purposes and to ensure we cater to their scaling needs, as well as flag potential events of default and or areas of concern.
- Provide support for clients where waivers, amendments, or restructures may be required.
- Represent the company at conferences, seminars and other relevant events in the region or worldwide, as required.
- Lead, organise or participate in company trainings, conferences, learning initiatives.
- Contribute to the training and development of our investment analysts.
- Ad-hoc priority tasks as they arise (e.g. helping on investor site visits/ due diligence requests).
- Driven by our mission to finance solar to help solve climate change and energy poverty.
- Low ego and has a learning mindset that thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates a genuine interest in understanding business models and the inherent risks.
- Detail-oriented, a critical thinker and can question assumptions.
- Is familiar with producing pitch decks and information memoranda.
- Demonstrable financial modelling skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of using languages such as ‘R’ or ‘Python’ in financial modelling and or big data analysis.
- Strong written and oral communicator in English.
- A proven, proactive problem solver.
- A solid team player who is willing to put in the extra hours and do what it takes to provide high-quality and timely outputs that are required to close a deal.
- At least 5 years work experience with (preferably energy) corporate finance advisory, private equity, project finance, debt structured finance, or project development in Africa or other emerging markets having worked for an investment advisory firm, investment fund or developer.
- Strong academic records from a top-tier institution.
- French-speaking capability- a plus.
You will be expected to embrace opportunities for learning, with guidance from leading experts in solar finance to allow your skills to continuously be tested and flourish. We celebrate and promote diversity in backgrounds and opinions. In the end, we care about results, and we show flexibility (e.g. working from home). In return, we expect that our team members give their best. Our goal is to create a job opportunity and work environment where you will be motivated to excel daily and have lots of fun while you’re at it.
04 December 2022