SunFunder is a solar energy finance business with a mission to provide financing for solar assets in emerging economies, including inventory, working capital, construction, and structured finance loans.We offer borrowers a deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships, while simultaneously providing investors with diversified, high-impact, fixed income debt offerings of emerging market solar investments.
The Investment Officer (“IO”) will report to the Head of Investments and be responsible for developing and maintaining client relationships, driving transactions, structuring innovative and bankable solutions, and growing our loan portfolio across Africa and Asia.
- Grow our portfolio: You will actively contribute to the growth of the current portfolio by building and developing a strong eligible pipeline of investment opportunities in existing markets and new markets.
- Lead transactions from beginning to end: As an IO, you will be leading the full investment cycle including origination, due diligence and credit risk assessments of existing and/or potential counterparties, negotiating and structuring transactions to financial close. This includes developing and managing the client relationship, leading negotiations of transaction terms and documentation, managing internal and external stakeholders and working with Analysts to present to our credit committee. We pride ourselves on our quick turnaround.
- Maintain a healthy portfolio: You will maintain high quality relationships with customers with regular check-ins for portfolio monitoring purposes and to ensure we cater to their scaling needs.
- Innovate and expand. In a rapidly moving market and a largely untapped market, we look to IOs to develop new solar lending products to meet our customers’ and the sector’s evolving financing needs and facilitate entry into new markets.
- Build the SunFunder brand: You will regularly represent the company at conferences, seminars, webinars and other relevant events in the region or worldwide, as required. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining SunFunder’s strategic partnerships with investors, co-lenders, advisors and other industry participants.
- Support strategic initiatives: You will be actively involved in supporting and championing initiatives that accelerate our growth.
- Mentor investment analysts: You will be paired with an investment analyst for every transaction and it’s an important value of SunFunder to help others grow and develop professionally.
- A passion for what we do and a demonstrated hunger to close deals: You will have at least 6 years experience in finance with a proven track record in sourcing, structuring and closing investments in renewable energy sectors.
- Strong relationship skills: You seamlessly interact with a variety of stakeholders at different levels in an organisation. Your ability to analyse complex matters and present them clearly make you a trusted partner to work with for people inside and outside our organisation. You know how to adjust your message to people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Technical know-how: You will have strong credit risk assessment, modeling, analytical and presentation skills. You will work closely with the analysts to prepare credit applications to present to the credit committee as well as work closely with the Risk team to monitor our portfolio.
- Reliable and accountable: SunFunder is a multi-cultural, distributed team. As such, it is most important that you are someone who over-communicates, is highly organised and results-oriented, is self-motivated and self-disciplined. Our team and clients can count on you.
- Flexible and innovative: You have a proven track record of making things happen, willing to challenge the way we’re doing things, “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time, and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excited by travel: (Vaccine pending) you will travel to the markets where you are sourcing and executing deals (20-35% depending on where you are based) and have lived and worked in the emerging economies where SunFunder is active.
- Collaborative and fun: You enjoy learning from, as well as teaching others. You see feedback as an opportunity for growth and are therefore keen to give and receive it.
Other qualities that are important to us include possessing a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity and a low-ego. SunFunder is a small company, and you will be expected to learn on the job, with guidance from leading experts in solar finance (see our team profiles on our website) to allow your skills to continuously be tested and flourish. We are a non-hierarchical company and we are a meritocracy. We celebrate and promote diversity in backgrounds and opinions. In the end, we care about results and we show flexibility (e.g. work from home). In return, we expect that ourteam members give their best. Our goal is to create a job opportunity and work environment where you will be motivated to excel daily (pun intended) and have lots of fun while you’re at it.
Source:JD: (Sr) Investment Officer (filesusr.com)