CrossBoundary Energy Access (CBEA) is a blended finance facility investing project finance into mini-grid portfolios in Sub-Saharan Africa.
CrossBoundary is recruiting a full-time Principal to lead our Power and Infrastructure (P&I) Advisory Practice. We are seeking candidates with 9+ years of relevant experience working in the development or financing of Power and/or Infrastructure projects in emerging/frontier markets.
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. As the Global Head of Power and Infrastructure Advisory, you will oversee all aspects of this practice, including business development, project execution, hiring and staffing, P&L management, and building a brand, alongside involvement in broader firm leadership initiatives. CrossBoundary seeks investment professionals with deep technical expertise and relationships and a track record of originating and closing P&I transactions in our markets.
About the role
- Lead a diverse team of 10+ power and infrastructure advisory professionals with a multidisciplinary background, including lawyers, finance experts, and technical experts spread across emerging/frontier markets globally.
- Lead business development through proactive investment advisory initiatives and relationship building, as well as responding to development procurements (RFPs).
- Provide project leadership and execution oversight to a wide range of transaction-related advisory assignments. Some examples include:
- Transaction advisory support to Ministries of Energy and Finance, national electric utilities, private sector project developers (IPPs), project and infrastructure finance lenders, and development finance institutions to support the project development process and achieve financial close,
- Coordinate consortium of advisors (E&S advisors, legal advisors, technical advisors, etc.) involved in upstream project development (risk matrix, E&S studies, pre-feasibility and feasibility studies, legal studies) required to prepare projects to bring them to market,
- Engage with all relevant government entities, DFIs, and donors, and understand requirements to develop large-scale PPP or concession-based power or infrastructure projects,
- Collaborate with local counsel and internal legal team on drafting commercial documentation (PPA, implementation agreement, and qualification criteria),
- Support improvement of the procurement design and execution process to develop and finance bankable national priority, capital-intensive, power and infrastructure projects following international best practices,
- Assess project feasibility, validate investment and development opportunities, produce market insights, compile project investment memorandums.
- Lead client coverage and stakeholder management across developers, donors, government officials, investors, and partners.
- Lead hiring, capacity building, performance management, P&L management, and general team leadership activities.
- Manage relationships with key clients and provide strategic input into program design and oversee mandate execution and reporting.
- Lead brand-building by driving P&I team participation at conferences and in panel discussions, developing thought leadership pieces, participating in other relevant initiatives that help grow our visibility, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration or Finance or other relevant advanced degree is preferred (extensive relevant experience may be accepted as equivalent).
- 9+ years of experience working in the Project Finance or Power and/or Infrastructure team focused on emerging and/or frontier markets at one or more of the following: a specialist advisor, a renewable energy/infrastructure developer with a sizable project portfolio, top-tier infrastructure fund, a development finance institution, a lender, or an investment bank.
- Deep experience originating and closing transactions in these markets.
- Deep project finance experience and experience structuring complex P&I transactions.
- Familiarity with competitive procurement process design and implementation.
- Strong relationships across and experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders active in the Power and Infrastructure sector in emerging markets, including development finance institutions, government counterparts, developers, investors, donor agencies, guarantee agencies, other service providers (legal, E&S, technical), etc., and ability to continue to develop and maintain these deep relationships.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills; leading teams to results in challenging circumstances; preferably in a fast-moving and entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues.
- Excellent quantitative skills; ability to apply analytical rigor to complex and uncertain tasks.
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences.
- Fluent in English. French and/or Spanish language skills beneficiary but not required.
As soon as possible