A non-profit international development organisation founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalisation. We strive for a world where all people are heard, capable and vibrant.
The energy finance consultant will be responsible for developing and refining the value proposition for Pact’s energy access and productive use lending activities in sub-Saharan Africa. Pact seeks an experienced consultant to conduct analysis and lead product development for our infrastructure consumer financing solutions, which may include technical assistance to existing micro-finance institutions (MFIs), loan guarantees and leverage from local banks, new loan products, and fund development and management). The expected outcome of this work is a comprehensive business plan that has been market tested with potential partners, donors and investors.
About the role
Using a combination of desk research and internal & external stakeholder interviews:
- Analyse the consumer financing market to identify the market potential and consumer demand for energy access consumer financing and the gaps and market failures preventing more people from financing the cost of grid/mini-grid connection fees as well as commercial and industrial equipment in newly electrified areas.
- Building on Pact’s consumer financing work to date, develop new financial product and service offerings, quantify their potential social impact based on growth projections rooted in fact.
- Conduct financial modeling to clearly outline the cost drivers, pricing and funding needs of new products and services as well as the long-term revenue/funding needs required to reach the intended scale.
- Analyse the regulatory and economic environment in key potential markets (Ethiopia, DRC, Nigeria, and potentially others as identified by the consultant) to assess risks and develop mitigation strategies. identify potential partners and develop both a go-to-market strategy for agreed upon entrant markets, as well as a credible scale-up plan.
- Analyse the competitive landscape, developing a clear understanding of what energy access consumer financing solutions are currently offered by other organisations and companies.
- Identify synergies with Pact’s existing country-level programs, skills, resources and technical capabilities in sub-Saharan Africa and South-East Asia and map out opportunities for utilising Pact’s qualifications and resources for expanding energy access and productive use financing products. Develop a clear understanding of competitive advantages based on the strength of the products and services proposed as well as Pact’s resources and skill set to deploy them.
- Identify the human resourcing needs to deliver new products and services, utilising current Pact staff and new hires as needed.
- Identify potential implementation partners and determine the contours of potential agreements with those entities. Conduct due diligence and comparative analysis to find the best partners who would be the right fit to compliment Pact’s strengths.
- Identify potential donors and investors and create a clear and compelling narrative for why they should fund the deployment of these new products and services, including a description of proposed uses of funds, timelines and impact metrics.
The expected deliverables from the consultancy are:
- An initial summary of potential products and services developed for Pact with recommendations for next steps, including recommended partnerships.
- A Detailed summary of major market opportunities, Pact’s current and future potential offerings (both realistic and stretch), including potential future products and services, partnership structuring, and funding needs.
- Pitch deck to present to key donors/financing institutions to secure funding for launching new products and services in key markets.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in business or economics. MBA is preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, commercial lending or other relevant work experience in the financial services industry.
- Demonstrated expertise in energy finance; solar energy experience would present an advantage. Experience with consumer lending, particularly in a frontier markets context is highly desirable.
- Strong experience with financial modeling, valuation, business planning, corporate structuring, and/or philanthropic or concessional financing.
- Experience with raising capital including debt, equity, and philanthropic funds from private investors, governments, foundations, corporations, and/or multi-lateral financial institutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain inter-personal and professional relationships with Pact staff, potential donors/investors, local partners, host governments and other implementing organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communications, including strong presentation skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, including excellent PowerPoint skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel if needed within the United States and internationally, contingent on global health restrictions.
04 November 2021