Since 1962, NRECA International has developed programs that promote economic prosperity in developing countries through technical assistance and training in rural electrification.
NRECA International strives to create permanent business cultures and operating environments in which local electrification institutions are able to survive, compete, prosper and grow.
- Feasibility Studies
- Institutional Development
- Productive Uses and Economic Development
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Rural Electrification Planning
- Rural Electrification Project Design
- Utility Operations and Management
The Electrification Investment Specialist position is for two years, and will be based in Lusaka, Zambia with the primary objective of leading the ZECDP project team to establish a rural electric cooperative institution and to secure capital investment required to establish the cooperative from local and international financial institutions. The purpose of the capital resources will be to finance infrastructure of electric cooperative enterprises to include generation and associated distribution infrastructure. The cooperative enterprises will very likely use solar photovoltaic-battery hybrid generation mini-grids with low-voltage distribution systems. The Investment Specialist will lead all ZECDP in-country activities to achieve the outputs of ZECDP Activity 1 and ZECDP Activity 2. The Electrification Investment Specialist will need to develop strong working relationships with Zambian power sector stakeholder institutions and financial sector enterprises and members of communities in Zambia, and work closely with the program management team, engineers, and investors.
About the role
- Provide leadership to ZECDP team members including the Cooperative Development Specialist, the Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist and administrative staff.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, the Energy Regulation Board and other Zambian power sector institutions, financial sector enterprises, and , NRECA International partners in Zambia.
- Develop, analyse, evaluate, and recommend electrification investment options and proposals.
- Identify primary economic and financial risks and develop mitigation strategies to address these risks.
- Develop presentations for investors and management updates/discussions. Liaise with potential project investors and community leaders.
- Promote NRECA International’s services to develop new business/investment opportunities.
- Assist with project phases or tasks as directed by the CDP Program Manager.
- Support and drive process improvements in areas of electrification investment, community project management, and operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required with Finance or Economics major, professional qualification or MBA preferred.
- 5-7 years of experience in transaction advisory activities for development investments.
- Successful track record in accessing investments for development projects and/or businesses.
- Energy market experience in one of the following sectors is preferred: distributed generation, energy services or retail electricity.
- Outstanding analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in developing and utilising detailed, Excel-based financial models.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (verbal and written) to be able to engage with all stakeholders.
- Ability to make decisions by assimilating multiple sources of information and applying experience, judgment, and logical reasoning in an ambiguous, changing, and fast-paced environment.
- Solid business acumen and ability to identify and succinctly communicate electrification investment issues, opportunities, or threats to the program performance.
Candidates should send a complete CV in English along with a cover letter in English describing their experience, and three references who may be contacted by NRECA. Please email your resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com. Apply by November 12, 2021.
12 November 2021