SunCulture unlocks the potential of smallholder farmers by powering their farms and their homes. Their base system comes with ClimateSmart, the most powerful energy system in its class, as well as agricultural and household appliances, such as award winning solar water pumps, irrigation systems, TVs, and lights. SunCulture is the only company in Africa that serves both the rural household and the farm with a single IoT-enabled energy system.
SunCulture has direct distribution across Kenya and operates in several other Sub-Saharan countries through distribution partners. SunCulture is the largest distributor of off-grid solar water pumps in Africa.
The Deputy Head of Sales has the primary responsibility of defining and driving the implementation of the set sales strategy. This role is suitable for an individual who has a passion for data analysis, takes ownership, and has creative and innovative ways of looking at sales and how to drive team performance
About the role
Implementing the Sales and Marketing Strategy:
- You are responsible for implementing the sales strategy set the month on month.
- Grow sales volume through critically analysing sales performance and preparing periodic sales reports.
- Help the Head of Sales think through new markets for expansion and grow existing markets.
- Maintain an ‘ownership mentality of the sales team by ensuring responsible spending habits by the sales team by vetting and querying all receipts issued for reimbursement.
- Ensure the route to market is assessed periodically and a new approach is adopted to drive high sales volume and productivity among the sales agents.
- Monitor competitor activities in order to gain a competitive edge, be ahead of the competitors and ensure an increase in the market share.
- Frequently doing field visits to ensure full implementation and review of strategy on the ground, learn new trends in the market and keep regional heads accountable of the field teams.
Team Management and Leadership:
- Attain sales growth by managing the performance of the sales teams in line with agreed KPIs, ie. sales, agent recruitment, and market expansion targets.
- Monitor career growth and development of the sales team by encouraging internal promotion, mentorship, and coaching of the team members.
- Diagnose core performance challenges through data analytics and provide timely solutions to problems.
- Analyse Regional Sales Managers and Sales Team Leads’ ability to recognise success and give it freely to those excelling in their teams, as well as diagnose and support team members who care.
- Be on the ground to monitor field activity, agents onboarding in order to identify training gaps and ensure the field team undergoes appropriate training that equips them with relevant skills required to undertake their day-to-day duties.
- Liaise with the HR team to ensure recruitment of top talent in the market and retention of the talent by having incentive structures that boost morale and increase productivity.
- Support the marketing manager and ensure all marketing initiatives are aligned towards driving sales and lead generation.
- Collaborate with all teams in order to understand timelines around new product launches hence making it easier to tailor unique selling strategies for the products.
- Work with all relevant teams in order to get relevant data and information, translating it into actionable strategies that drive sales and lead to the achievement of set sales targets.
- Provide periodic reports showing sales volume, potential sales, and future expansion plans.
- 5-7years’ experience in sales in the off-grid sector.
- At least 3 years experience in a leadership position in sales.
- Work experience in startups and have built a sales team from scratch, with experience leading sales functions with multiple sales channels.
- Proven to be a self-starter who works well with autonomy and can ask for help without hesitation.
- Willing to recognise and own mistakes in order to reflect, learn, and continually develop as a leader.
- A manager who encourages others to take ownership of their work in both good and bad circumstances.
- Proven experience delivering sales targets through high-performance teams.
- Passionate about developing team capability through mentorship and coaching.
- Experience with developing managers to upskill their teams and support their efforts.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and experience working in a dynamic, evolving environment.
15 October 2021