Practical Action has over 40 years of experience in the energy access space. Over this time we have been involved in over 500 mini-grids projects, created thousands of jobs, published extensively on rural electrification technologies and approaches, and are now pioneering new approaches to building markets for energy access services, both on the ground and through our political and financial advocacy work and innovative partnerships such as Power for All. Please get in touch if you would like to find out more information.
To deliver Practical Action’s ambition in energy access provision, we need high performing consultants who are passionate about winning, managing and delivering high quality and high impact work in the energy and development sectors.
This role will suit an early stage/career level advisor, with enthusiasm and energy to develop their consultancy sector and technical energy knowledge and skills through hands-on work developing bids/proposals and delivering projects. You will work closely with other members of the PAC International team, particularly the energy team, and will also work with energy colleagues in our PAC Global offices and our Energy Associates (external experts). You will be a self-starter and will be willing to try your hand at various types of projects/proposals and to be involved in all aspects of business development and project delivery (e.g. technical inputs; budget/financial management; report-writing; operations; project management).
You will have strong written, verbal and numerical/analytical skills and will be able to grasp issues and instructions quickly. You will have a good eye for detail and will be able to manage your time and workload well. You will have a ‘can do’ attitude and be a strong team player, providing core support to ensure successful development and delivery. You will also be involved at times in providing technical inputs to the wider Practical Action Group (‘charity’) on programming and/or business development. You will undertake ‘learning-by-doing’, as well as more targeted, formal development and training to further your technical, financial, project management and wider consultancy skills. Over time it is anticipated that you will become more specialised and experienced in certain aspects of consultancy or sectoral work, or that you will develop existing specialisms and experience
About the role
Key working relationships:
- Reporting to the Energy Lead, you will be provided with training, guidance and support in various aspects of business development and project delivery
- You will have regular engagement across the PAC International Team, working closely with the Energy Advisor to support the delivery of consultancy assignments
- The role will also have engagement with Practical Action (particularly the Impact & Influence Team) and PAC colleagues in the wider global organisation.
- You will be a member of Practical Action’s Energy Change Hub, an internal strategy and learning group consisting of Energy specialists across the global organisation.
- You will have some engagement with wider Practical Action energy colleagues to support fundraising or delivery of charity programmes, and to share learning.
- You will be expected to engage with early stage to mid-level individuals and partner organisations — in the private, public and research sectors, on behalf of Practical Action.
- You will support the team to build the organisation’s profile, develop business opportunities and deliver key projects.
- You will work closely with Associate Consultants to develop and deliver projects.
- You will work closely with Practical Action Consulting energy colleagues to win and deliver a wide-ranging portfolio of energy access work.
Job functions and accountabilities:
- This role will approximately split their time 60:40 primarily between business development and project delivery, this will vary at times depending on the workload and type, and available resources.
- To provide wide-ranging, high quality and timely inputs with PAC energy colleagues towards effective business development and delivery of high quality, impactful energy access projects.
- To support and lead on key projects/proposals/initiatives as appropriate, over time, in agreement with the Energy Lead, to maintain and grow the project pipeline of work.
- To support collaborative working across teams to drive effective business development and project delivery.
- To contribute, with support and leadership from the Energy Lead, to delivery against agreed team income generation targets.
- To work with the Energy Lead and other colleagues to further build and manage a strong network of Energy Associate Consultants and partner organisations to support the development, delivery and expansion of the PAC/PA energy portfolio.
- To manage external Associates as part of project management responsibilities.
- Over time to develop knowledge, skills and expertise regarding energy access, the energy and development sector, and the consulting sector more broadly.
- In time, manage project budgets ranging from £30k to £300k per annum.
- To contribute to team income generation targets (with support from Energy Lead).
- The role offers the opportunity to learn and develop technical energy access and renewable energy skills and expertise, through learning-by-doing and some more formal training opportunities.
Knowledge and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree/qualification in relevant field/sector (energy, climate change, international development, related field/sector) or equivalent.
- Some knowledge and/or experience of the international energy sector relating to energy access, renewable energy and international development more broadly.
- Ability to grasp new concepts and issues quickly and to work across a number of different areas and projects/tasks simultaneously.
- Willing to undertake learning-by-doing and more formal learning/training to develop knowledge and skills to support the undertaking of the role.
- Interest in one or more specialist areas/aspects of our energy access consultancy work would be an advantage.
- A sound understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion across all dimensions.
Skills and experience:
- Some experience of working in a consultancy or a similar context on project and proposal management.
- Some experience of providing support or managing projects and project delivery processes.
- Some knowledge or experience of business development would be an advantage.
- Proven team working and collaboration skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential.
- Ability to at times work independently and take the initiative.
- Quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills are an advantage.
- Experience of working in Africa (West Africa beneficial) and South Asia would be an advantage.
- Competency in the French language would also be an advantage.
31 October 2021