SparkMeter is a venture-backed company that was founded in late 2013, a spin-off of the non-profit EarthSpark International. We developed our low-cost, pre-pay enabled, smart metering system as a solution for electric utilities in developing countries to serve low-income customers. Our metering system is being widely adopted by utilities serving customers in rural parts of Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Come join SparkMeter’s mission driven, entrepreneurial team and help increase energy access in developing countries. As a Supply Chain and Logistics Manager, you will manage SparkMeter supply chain partners (domestic and global) to meet Customer delivery requirements. You will foster relationships built on trust, collaboration, and respect to achieve performance excellence, and use sustainable methods to prevent and solve supply chain problems. You will play a leadership role at the company through your communication and collaboration with Customer Success to deliver quality product, on-time within budget for a startup company in the global energy access industry.
You’ll focus on:
- Supply chain and inventory management. You will interface with SparkMeter’s vendors to make sure shipments to our manufacturing partners are delivered on time and that vendors are held accountable to agreed upon commitments. This work is done in service of making sure that SparkMeter maintains inventory levels that will allow it to fulfill customer orders with a lead time of less than 8 weeks. Responsibilities include:
- Proactively lead calls with procurement, manufacturing and logistics partners to manage delivery schedules.
- Maintain relationships with parts suppliers and facilitate communication between supply chain partners.
- Source and negotiate best prices on components and issue purchase orders.
- Reporting on inventory levels and projected lead times.
- Forecasting and planning, order management and fulfillment, inventory and capacity and demand planning
- Order fulfillment and international logistics. You will create and flow work orders to SparkMeter’s manufacturing partners based on new firm sales orders from SparkMeter’s Customer Success team. Working with SparkMeter’s International Freight Forwarder, you will ensure the timely delivery of customer orders by leveraging your experience with logistics rules, Incoterms, regulations, processes, procedures, duties, tariffs, taxes, policies, practices and cost analysis and implications in geographic areas SparkMeter delivers product to (Africa, South Asia, other). This involves upfront collaboration in the fulfillment process with our customers’ logistics point of contact to make sure shipping method and requirements are understood and flowed to our International Freight Forwarder. To achieve and maintain outstanding customer satisfaction, you will communicate directly with our customers to update them on their order status and delivery timelines and make sure that goods arrive as planned. Responsibilities include:
- Updating order status and fulfillment timeline projections in our CRM, Salesforce.com.
- Respond to requests for shipping quotes and lead times from SparkMeter’s Customer Success Team.
- Developing, maintaining and improving tools and systems related to order fulfillment.
In your first few months you'll:
- Develop a process to track order fulfilment in service of providing the customer success team with visibility on inventory levels and order fulfillment lead times.
- Work with SparkMeter’s CFO to develop requirements for an ERP system.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to clearly institutionalize, error-proof and document responsible processes in accordance with ISO 9001
Where You'll Work and Expected Travel
SparkMeter's Operations team is based in our Washington DC office, but our people are all over the world. You can expect occasional travel totaling ~2 weeks per year.
SparkMeter was founded to promote opportunity in underrepresented communities.
SparkMeter’s core value is opportunity: the opportunity for underserved communities to achieve great things. That's why our mission is to increase access to electricity in underserved communities - it is electricity and the services derived from it that unlock and create those opportunities. This value is reflected in our hiring ethos: we believe that the strongest teams have diverse backgrounds. Our approach to hiring has been validated by academic and industry studies that show that workforce diversity improves team and business performance. (It has also been validated by the quality of the team we’ve assembled so far!)Let
You'll be a good fit for this role if you have:
- Emotional intelligence. You are open, honest, and dedicated to the growth, health, and well being of yourself and the people around you. You should be in charge of maintaining your own work/life balance and say something when you need help. If you see others struggling you should offer support. Sparkmeter is at its best when it’s people are at their best.
- International logistics expertise. You will have international logistics experience with knowledge of rules, Incoterms, regulations, processes, procedures, duties, tariffs, taxes, policies, practices, cost analysis and implications and have worked with Freight Forwarders to deliver parts internationally.
- Experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Material Requirements Planning (MRP) and/or Shop Floor Control (SFC) Systems. You will rigorously update SparkMeter’s systems with relevant data on costs, lead times, status, and inventory levels.
- Materials management skills. You will have proficiency in forecasting and planning, order management and fulfillment, inventory and capacity planning, logistics and demand planning processes.
- Comfortable with technology. While you don’t have to be an engineer to excel at this role, you should be comfortable with computers, science and engineering.
- Experience working with customers, suppliers. You should be comfortable engaging via email and over the phone and helping to collaboratively solve problems. The ideal candidate will have exemplary strong Customer service skills to be able to rapidly respond to urgent Customer requests. This will provide superior SparkMeter Account Management. You will have Vendor/Supplier interface experience to negotiate and manage procurement of components. Excellent written and verbal communication skills will help achieve this objective.
- Organization skills and attention to details. You must have extraordinary organization skills and a process to keep track of multiple tasks with varying complexity. Attention to detail, organizational skills to manage responsibilities in fast paced operating environment with model work ethic a must for this position.
- Uncommonly organized problem-solving skills. You love devising new systems and getting all things in their right place. We are looking for a problem solver. Sometimes the right solution might be in the process, documentation, or communication. You should always be striving towards simplification. Simpler systems are easier to understand, improve, and maintain.
- Disciplined self-startedness. We’re a startup, which means we are building systems as we grow and require leadership from everyone in our company for this. This requires initiative and follow-up to completion. You will have a bias for action, resilience and tenacity to achieve stretch goals.
- Comfort with imperfection. It’s important to be able to admit mistakes, find fixes, and learn from those experiences to not repeat them.
We’d also like to see (but don’t require):
- Demonstrated track record for self-improvement. You will have demonstrated ability to continuously seek self-improvement learning opportunities. APICS certification or desire to obtain (CSCP, CPIM, CLTD) are examples the ideal candidate will possess.
- Curiosity. You’ll use your knack for gathering information and problem-solving to help us figure out ways to create solutions to our customers’ unique challenges.
- Experience modeling process and using analytics on an Excel-like platform. We are looking for a candidate who can dive deep into data, create/analyze/modify a model that can be used to evaluate trade-offs, simulate what-ifs and make decisions using data driven, strong analytic and innovative problem solving skills. Examples include proficiency in modeling manufacturing Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) and Inventory financial analysis.
Read the full job description
As soon as possible