Trama TecnoAmbiental (TTA) is an international consulting and engineering SME active since 1986 and based in Barcelona, Spain. Its main specialty is distributed renewable energy generation combined with energy management and efficiency in developing regions. In rural electrification, and particularly microgrids, TTA has been involved in studies, policy, deployment and capacity building in over 60 countries.
TTA’s team has international and cross-cultural experience at technological as well as institutional levels, including regulatory, financial and social aspects. Projects have been done in Europe, Americas, Africa, the Middle East, Oceania and Asia. Clients include governments, multilateral and bilateral institutions (WB UNDP, UNOPS, UNIDO, UNESCO, IDB, OLADE, IRENA, IEA, EC, AECID, and others), NGOs, local communities, individuals, private developers, contractors, electric utilities etc.
TTA was awarded the EUREC Technology Prize 2001, “for developing excellent system technology for rural electrification based on renewable energy sources, combined with an innovative, user-oriented approach for its implementation”.
In 2015, TTA was awarded with the Prize “Off-Grid Experts Awards” by the company Off-Grid Phaesun together with ARE, for excellence in the performance in the field of Off-Grid power supply, in the Category A “Product” for its “Electricity Dispenser”, a Smart Meter for microgrids.
TTA is seeking a Project Manager and Consultant to join the Africa Unit of TTA. Under the supervision of the Africa Team Leaders, the Project Manager and Consultant will coordinate projects and develop innovative custom-consultancy services adapted to the project and
Client needs. The nature of projects will be related to services and consultancy in sustainable energy, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy access with RE based off grid solutions and mini-grids.
The Project Manager and Consultant will report to the Africa Team Leaders.
The Senior Project Manager and Consultant will work in the following areas:
- Overall project management: control project timeline and budget, lead project teams to meet deadlines, coordinate the collaboration with external partners; customer relation by participating in calls, meetings and field missions.
- Prepare project deliverables: prepare technical reports and other deliverables required by the project in a timely manner and with high quality writing.
- Field missions. Travel to project sites when required.
- Owner’s engineer: advisory services to institutional and private clients on project development, operation, and tender preparation and construction. Review and evaluation of technical and financial proposals by contractors including provision of support in the negotiations with winning bidders, coordination of grant disbursements and provision of technical assistance to the winning bidders.
- Feasibility Studies: conduct project identification, project development, (pre)feasibility study, demand study / load profile, needs assessment and data gathering, techno-economic analysis, social, environmental, PPA, net metering, etc.
- Financial and business models and delivery schemes: carry out or review institutional framework analysis as well as financial and economic models, business model, service tiers, revenue stream definition client policy, funds mobilisation, costing.
- Institutional, policy and regulatory support: develop strategic and planning documents in the field of sustainable energy, policy and regulatory frameworks, tariff setting among others.
- Capacity building: prepare and deliver trainings for public and private stakeholders.
- Support business development. Support Team Leaders and commercial department in identifying and preparing new proposals and service offers.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following competences:
- Educational Background. A Master’s degree in engineering, economics or similar is required. Specific education in renewable energies, sustainable energy and/or energy access will be an advantage.
- Previous Work Experience. Minimum 8 years of experience in sustainable energy and development is required. Minimum 5 years of experience in solar PV is required. Experience in clean energy mini-grids is required. Experience in other renewable energies, particularly small hydro, is an added value. Previous experience in consultancy of topics related to policy, regulation, project development or finance of renewable energy access projects is required. Previous experience as owner’s engineer is highly desirable.
- International Experience. Experience in developing countries, particularly Africa, is required. Experience with multilateral or bilateral development agencies is highly desirable.
- Languages. Fluency in French and English is required. Fluency in Spanish and Portuguese will be an added value.
- Computer Skills. Excellent command in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel are required. Experience with simulation software i.e. HOMER, PV SYST is desirable.
- Interests. Passionate about sustainable energy; motivation to travel internationally; interest in development.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Problem-solver, pro-active and results-oriented.
- Analytical skills, efficient designing and implementing of processes.
- Methodical and well organised.
- Ability and proven experience to think creatively learn quickly and develop innovative solutions involving electrical and mechanical challenges.
- Cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary and benefits: From EUR 33,000 to 37,000 /year gross salary (EUR 2,050 to 2,300 monthly net) depending on qualifications of candidate. Corporate international travel and health insurance included.
Starting date: Immediate.
Position based in: Barcelona, Spain with travels to project sites (<30%). Other locations could be considered for outstanding candidates.
As soon as possible