CrossBoundary Energy Access (CBEA) is a blended finance facility investing project finance into mini-grid portfolios in Sub-Saharan Africa.
CrossBoundary is recruiting a full-time Principal to lead our off-grid energy engagements in Nigeria. The Principal will advise on investment into off-grid energy businesses in Nigeria such as solar home systems and mini-grids.
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. Principal candidates should have 8+ years of experience working in high caliber finance or consulting organisations and experience working in developing countries – ideally in Nigeria. Expertise in project finance, renewable energy, and/or off-grid generation will be regarded favorably. A Master degree in Business Administration or Finance is expected, but extensive relevant experience may be accepted as equivalent.
We are open to candidates looking for a 3 to 4 year commitment as well as those who want to build a long-term career with our firm.
About the Team
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
CrossBoundary offers a highly competitive salary (including benefits).
- 8+ years of experience in top tier banking, consulting, private equity, or similar
- 2-3+ years of experience working in developing countries and power project finance
- Past experience in renewable energy, with an emphasis on off-grid solar, is not required but will be regarded favorably
- Experience in Nigeria is particularly relevant
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other advanced degrees expected
Ideal Skills and Characteristics
- Demonstrated leadership skills; preferably in fast moving and complex environments
- Strong quantitative skills; ability to apply analytical rigor to complex and uncertain tasks
- Strong finance background; familiar with company evaluation and valuation
- Exceptional understanding of power project economics and the spectrum of renewable energy technologies
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and colleagues in stressful environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
- Willingness to work and live in an austere environment
- Project identification and evaluation: Manage rigorous assessment of investment opportunities including assessment of power project economics
- Market assessment and ongoing market analysis: Manage team to conduct macroeconomic, regulatory, and operational assessments; Lead analysis of priority areas for investment
- Investor qualification and relations: Lead team in identifying qualified investors; Manage investor relationships
- Transaction support: Lead team in supporting complex transactions
The Principal will be based in Lagos, Nigeria. There may be flexibility to accommodate candidates that need to be in Abuja. Frequent travel is expected.
As soon as possible