SunFunder is a solar energy finance business with a mission to provide financing for solar assets in emerging economies, including inventory, working capital, construction, and structured finance loans.We offer borrowers a deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships, while simultaneously providing investors with diversified, high-impact, fixed income debt offerings of emerging market solar investments.
You will work as a deal team with an Investment Officer to conduct in-depth due diligence, create, review and analyse financial models (in some cases from scratch), prepare investment memos, present the investment case and respond to questions from the Risk Team and the Credit Committee. You will also support the ongoing monitoring of the portfolio.
We expect the person in this role to quickly grow into a Senior Investment Analyst that will actively engage in the training and development of other Investment Analysts.
Main taks and responsibilities:
- Support the investment team in analysing and executing debt investments for solar energy companies and projects globally. While the majority of our portfolio is in Sub-Saharan Africa, we are also active in the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
- Support includes, but is not limited to:
- Supporting the identification and screening of investment opportunities;
- Ensuring all required information has been collected, validated and analysed throughout the due diligence process;
- Making company/project presentations and memoranda;
- Supporting internal credit and compliance processes;
- Preparing financial models;
- Preparing internal credit papers;
- Supporting on deal execution, structuring, negotiation and legal documentation;
- Supporting post-deal approval to ensure successful drawdown through security perfection and adherence to conditions precedent and conditions subsequent; and
- Working closely with the Risk Team to monitor our portfolio.
- Internally, you will work directly with an Investment Officer for the entire due diligence/credit approval process and with our Legal Counsel during the documentation process. You will also work with our Risk Team to ensure the deal is well structured and meets the standards required by our Credit Committee. You will report to our Head of Investments.
A successful Investment Analyst at SunFunder is one who:
- Is driven by our mission to finance solar to help solve climate change and energy poverty;
- Possesses low ego and has a learning mindset that thrives in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrates a genuine interest in understanding business models and the inherent risks;
- Is detail oriented, a critical thinker and can question assumptions; and
- Is an excellent financial modeller.
- Minimum Criteria:
- A solid understanding of accounting accompanied by strong Excel skills.
- Able to link the 3 financial statements and thereby understanding how to build a forecast.
- A logical framework for problem-solving with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to distil large amounts of data into a simple format (an eye for design and aesthetics is always welcome).
- Clear presentation skills to demonstrate the structured problem-solving approach and also facilitate transaction approvals.
- The ability to easily zoom in on details and zoom out to high-level strategy.
- Nice to have:
- Demonstrable knowledge of macros in Excel and applications in financial models.
- A stochastic approach to financial modelling using Monte Carlo simulations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of using languages such as ‘R’ or ‘Python’ in financial modelling and/or big data analysis.
- Has a deep relationship with Excel and enjoys converting others through training and mentoring.
- Strong written and oral communicator in English.
- Is a proven, proactive problem solver.
- Is a solid team player who is willing to put in the extra hours and do what it takes to provide high quality and timely outputs that are required to close a deal.
We will be testing for all the above during our rigorous interview process. While experience and education matters (see below), attitude, mindset and a love for Excel are most important.
- At least 3 years work experience with (preferably energy) private equity, project finance, debt structured finance, or project development in Africa or other emerging markets having worked for an investment fund, investment advisory firm or developer.
- Strong academic records from a top-tier institution.
- Must be bilingual.
SunFunder is a small company, and you will be expected to learn on the job, with guidance from leading experts in solar finance (see our team profiles on our website) to allow your skills to continuously be tested and flourish. We are a non-hierarchical company and we are a meritocracy. We celebrate and promote diversity in backgrounds and opinions. In the end, we care about results and we show flexibility (i.e. work from home). In return, we expect that our team members give their best. Our goal is to create a job opportunity and work environment where you will be motivated to excel daily (pun intended) and have lots of fun while you’re at it.
Compensation will be based upon your experience and skills. We offer generous benefits, a unique work culture that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented team.
Please send a brief cover letter and a 1-page CV in English to email@example.com, “Francophone Investment Analyst” in the subject line. Your cover letter should not summarise your CV, but rather specify why you believe you would be a good fit for the SunFunder team.
Target start date: March 1, 2021.
15 November 2020