Sunkofa Energy provides energy services through smart mini-grids powered by renewable energy. The focus of Sunkofa is to provide people with the means to climb the energy ladder via innovative solutions related to electricity (refrigeration, milling, internet…).
Through its presence in Europe and roots in Africa, Sunkofa becomes a bridge between investors and local talent, unlocking the potential of the continent.
The market potential for energy access in Africa is tremendous with 600 million people without access to electricity in Africa, of which 400 million (according to the Africa Energy Outlook 2019 -IEA) are expected to be electrified through decentralized solutions (mini-grids or solar home systems). The objective of Sunkofa Energy is to scale in Benin where we are currently developing 40 mini-grids. Beyond Benin, the goal is to be a leader of the mini-grid market in the continent with a key role in development and operations of mini-grids. We are looking for a Financial and Business Development Associate based in Madrid (Spain). The jobholder will work closely with a global Head Quarters Team to achieve their objectives detailed below At Sunkofa, our main core values are: humility (we do not know everything so we like your contributions), commitment (we want people with a key focus on energy access and Africa) and involvement (we expect from you an enthusiastic role within the team). As Financial and Business Development Associate, you will embody this value.
Major roles and responsibilities
- Implement our strategy for deployment of mini-grids in our target markets
- Manage and coordinate the launch of Sunkofa Energy in new markets within the region, developing a roadmap for each new country
- Support the testing of mini-grids, pricing, marketing, (after)-sales, distribution, partner integration and service within the new markets and communities
- Understand existing legal and administrative frameworks for mini-grids and propose new frameworks where relevant
- Identify and apply to tenders and grants
- Drive sales and test new innovative marketing strategies to improve overall customer experience
- Collect, treat and report data from new and existing customers and field studies to contribute directly to the business development strategy
- Develop cutting edge new metrics to evaluate customer trends and behavior
- Identify revenues improvement strategies whilst maintaining an excellent customer experience
- Build and update project financial model and business plan
- Provide risk and sensitivity analysis on mini-grid projects
- Support fund raising (debt, equity) for identified mini-grid projects
- Support consultancy projects related to mini-grids
International travelling will be required (1 week per month on average).
What exites you
- Pioneering a completely new asset class that will require billions in capital over the next decade.\
- Building an inclusive business from the ground up and scaling it.
- Driving complex projects with significant operational hurdles that accelerate energy access in Africa.
- A fast-paced environment where decision-making is expected.
- Implement and share your creative solutions – not just coming up with ideas
- Tackling big, thorny problems that will define the future of energy for a continent.
- Excellence – in your peers, in your work, and in our company’s commitment to our customers.
- Passion for organisation, details, and precision in all you do.
Education and experience reuiqred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies, Engineering or another related field.
- One to three years related experience.
- A solid team player who's also an independent thinker
- Strong interpersonal skills, modesty and empathy to cooperate with all members of the Sunkofa team
- Endless curiosity and a desire to think the outside the box
- Collaborative, organised and able to multi-task
- Ability to maintain big-picture vision while simultaneously focusing on the details
- Ability to use data to make smart improvement (when possible)
- Experience with survey design, analysis, and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English, French and Spanish)
- Enthusiasm in working for the field of energy access and improving the quality of life of our customers!
Highly desired skills
- Advanced proficiency with a statistical analysis program (e.g., STATA, R) and Excel (incl. VBA)
- Advanced analytical and quantitative reasoning ability. Ability to link strategy to financial plans.
- Education and/or work experience in an emerging economy, preferably in the African continent.
- Keen understanding of the energy access and/or renewable energy industries in Africa
- Understanding of rural BOP markets in Africa
- Ability to interact with multicultural teams, counterparts and stakeholders
- Capacity of communicate and involve other people into projects
- Being a team player with high ethics and transparency standards
Benefits and compensation:
A competitive package including annual compensation, insurance, performance bonuses and professional development. You'll be working with a dynamic team of brilliant people passionate about electrifying Benin and Sub Saharan Africa! We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in employment regardless of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, tribe, gender or age. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sunkofa HQ Office – Madrid (Spain)
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply with:
- A cover letter clearly justifying how they meet the selection criteria,
- Recent Curriculum Vitae including names and full contact details of three referees, one of whom must be current or most recent employer. Candidates must state the position of each referee and his/her relationship to the candidate.
Applications should be sent by email to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Financial and Business Development Associate. Also note that as all referees may be contacted, please ensure that contact details are up to date and that referees are aware that they may be contacted. Candidates must give full details of how they can be contacted as Sunkofa Energy will accept no responsibility if it is not able to contact a candidate for interview.
As soon as possible