Renewvia provides a complete range of solar energy solutions including turnkey solar installation, integrated financing and solar consulting services. Represented in three distinct geographic regions, Africa, South America and the United States, Renewvia has made impacts in corporate, utility, commercial and community-based developments.
You will be responsible for designing and building all solar generation systems for mini-grids and commercial/industrial projects. You’ll be both the one designing from scratch at the desk and the one installing and commissioning on site.
- Sizing of PV systems for customers, including solar panels, inverters, and batteries
- Design of the physical layout of equipment for modularity, ease of installation, and appearance
- Layout and construction of PV racking
- For sites that require it, selection of generator and supervising installation and commissioning
- Ensure long-term safety and reliability by following international code (we like IEC)
- Correct sizing of all conductors and bus bars
- Correct sizing of fuses and circuit breakers
- Following best installation practices on wire routing and protection, sealing, etc.
- Be the supervisor and lead installer for every step of generation equipment installation
- Bear full responsibility for the correct programing and safe commissioning of all equipment
- Be the expert on everything at the project generation site so that questions and issues can be quickly addressed
- Ensure reliable access to equipment data through equipment monitoring platforms
- Remotely assist our agents in communities (or designated staff at C&I projects) with understanding and addressing any issues that arise
- Choose equipment for our projects that balances price, quality, support, and ease of use
- Assist in evaluating new equipment as it comes our way. We get a lot of sales emails!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- If not Electrical Engineering or similar, we’d like to see some significant electrical engineering experience. Tell us what you’ve done and we’ll tell you if we think it could be a good fit.
- If you don’t have an engineering degree at all, the bar for your experience requirement is raised higher, but this doesn’t necessarily rule you out if you have significant experience with solar systems.
- You’ve designed electrical power systems according to IEC 60364 or a similar standard.
- Your experience is enough that you could take charge of the whole job description on your first day. We won’t put specific time requirements on this, but you should have worked long enough that you can hit the ground running.
- The more familiar you are with a variety of equipment manufacturers, the better. It would be great if you are familiar with SMA and Victron, especially.
- You’re organised. Disorganisation leads to waste!
- Good communication skills are super important to us. Your work will integrate into so many other priorities with customers and communities, so being clear and personable with your teammates and with external stakeholders will be crucial.
- Experience working with an international team is a plus. Renewvia has employees from 6 countries across 5 continents, so being comfortable with different communication styles and cultures is necessary.
Location: Based in Nairobi, Kenya, and working across all Africa projects, which right now is specifically Kenya and Nigeria but may expand.
How to apply
Contact: Douglas Cox at email@example.com. Send your CV and pictures of any interesting projects you’ve worked on. No need for a cover letter unless you really, really want to write one.