Since 1962, NRECA International has developed programs that promote economic prosperity in developing countries through technical assistance and training in rural electrification.
NRECA International strives to create permanent business cultures and operating environments in which local electrification institutions are able to survive, compete, prosper and grow.
- Feasibility Studies
- Institutional Development
- Productive Uses and Economic Development
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Rural Electrification Planning
- Rural Electrification Project Design
- Utility Operations and Management
The Community Development Specialist will be a full-time position located at the ZECDP program office in Lusaka Zambia and travelling as needed to communities in rural Zambia under consideration for electric cooperative formation. The primary objective of this position is to provide expertise in cooperative formation and development in order to inform the selection of candidate communities for viable electric cooperative enterprises. The Specialist will be required to guide selected communities to organise and register cooperative enterprises as member-owned businesses; to provide training and mentoring to newly-formed boards of directors; to assist the board to begin the process of recruiting management and staff of the newly-formed cooperative and to provide guidance to cooperative membership and the board of directors to navigate the process of drafting by-laws and registering the cooperative with the Government of Zambia. As such, the Specialist will need to be capable of working independently with limited oversight.
About the role
- Support analysis of community structures and frameworks during Activity 1 in the early stages of project implementation.
- Lead the ZECDP team in the effort to support cooperative communities to register their cooperative enterprise and conduct all founding activities (membership drive, first general assembly , board elections, drafting by-laws and other related duties).
- Provide mentoring to the new cooperative enterprises in handling community issues.
- Assist with data collection and development of a business plan for selected cooperative enterprises.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the supervisor and the CDP Program Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, Development, or a related field.
- Demonstrated prior experience in participatory rural appraisal methods and in community development in Zambia is required.
- Experience with community intermediation, public speaking and collaboration with diverse business and community development agencies.
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication skills. Working knowledge of Zambian languages and English is required.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, teamwork, and leadership.
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision but also a good collaborator and coordinator.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule to allow for participation and leadership in community meetings; travel between project sites; etc.
Candidates should send a complete CV in English along with a cover letter in English describing their experience, and three references who may be contacted by NRECA. Please email your resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Apply by November 12, 2021.
12 November 2021