SparkMeter is a venture-backed company that was founded in late 2013, a spin-off of the non-profit EarthSpark International. We developed our low-cost, pre-pay enabled, smart metering system as a solution for electric utilities in developing countries to serve low-income customers. Our metering system is being widely adopted by utilities serving customers in rural parts of Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Come join SparkMeter’s executive team and help increase electricity access in developing countries! As our CCO, you will help ensure SparkMeter has the right approach to sales to fulfill its strategic business plans. As a key member of the executive team, you will work with your fellow executives to define and execute on SparkMeter's strategy.
Duties and responsibilities:
Sales and customer success
You will be responsible for ensuring that SparkMeter hits its sales and growth targets, which is achieved by ensuring that our customers derive value from our products and customer service. Accordingly, you will be the senior customer advocate at the executive level. SparkMeter currently serves over 40 accounts in over 25 countries with an 8-person Customer Success team. That team is based in Nairobi and Washington, D.C. currently, and is expected to expand to offices in West Africa and South/Southeast Asia in the next 6 - 9 months. This team will be expanded under your leadership to serve our existing customer base, and to sell new commercial offerings to new customer segments. Responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a strategy to structure the Customer Success team for effective sales, account management, and customer support on a global basis.
- Create and own commercial Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) that enable the company to track progress towards its sales goals. This includes developing approaches to measuring and reporting on customer satisfaction and our sales pipeline.
- Sales execution, including the ability to close key deals, proactively manage key accounts, and come up with measured responses to customer escalations across diverse markets from Nigeria to The Philippines. Coaching and mentoring the customer success team on effective sales and support strategies.
- Tracking pipeline and defining metrics and KPIs through our CRM, which is currently Salesforce.com.
- Grow and manage our customer success team across multiple regional offices, including hiring local talent and implementing performance management. In collaboration with SparkMeter’s CFO, managing the HR and administrative functions of international offices.
- Design compensation incentive structures for the sales team and sales partners.
SparkMeter’s main customer segment is currently microgrid utilities. In 2019, we expect to refine our commercial offerings (inclusive of products, services, contract structures, and pricing strategies) and expand to new customer segments, such as central grid distribution utilities. The CCO will drive the Customer Success team and contribute to the following responsibilities:
- Creating a strategy for defining new commercial offerings for new and existing customer segments and choosing the right ones to prioritise for market introduction.
- Conduct market research and business development to test new commercial offerings, determine product fit, and create go-to-market plans.
- Create commercial agreements, such as LOIs, MOUs, and framework agreements.
- Create, test, and refine sales “playbooks” for commercial offerings, including phone scripts, templates, qualification criteria, and marketing materials.
- Management of PR, marketing, and communication strategy.
Many of our customers are looking for SparkMeter to provide a financing solution to make its products and services more affordable, especially at a large scale. You will be responsible for crafting SparkMeter’s strategy around financing options for customers, which directly interplays with pricing strategy. This will require engaging closely with various capital sources, including Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), export credit agencies, trade finance investors, brokers, currency hedging facilities, impact investors, and lenders. As an output, you will work with SparkMeter’s CEO, CFO, and investors to deliver financial products to SparkMeter’s customers appropriate for the particular contract, taking into account customer credit, local financing considerations, and SparkMeter’s own constraints.
Executive leadership and board relations
SparkMeter has an active Board primarily consisting of its equity investors. You will report alongside SparkMeter’s CEO to the Board on a regular basis to provide updates on sales and customer satisfaction. You will also work closely with SparkMeter’s CFO to produce actuals and forecasts on sales figures, and adjust our commercial strategy accordingly to improve margins.
You'll be a good fit for this role if you have:
- International experience: Your background should include extensive commercial work in emerging markets, particularly in Africa.
- Commercial agreements: You have experience with diverse agreement structures and pricing strategies for sales of equipment, software, and services.
- Customer success and support: You have experience managing delivery of support to customers of complex products and solutions.
- Financial and contractual sophistication: You have developed commercial offerings that provide customers with optionality to finance or buy a product outright.
- B2B and technical sales: You have experience with selling hardware and software to businesses.
- Industry/domain experience: You have a background in the energy/cleantech/utility sector.
- Leadership: You are an experienced manager who has built customer-facing teams up from scratch.
- Channel partners: You have experience with incorporating channel partners into a sales and support strategy.
- Performance management and HR: You have experience with team performance management and HR/administrative responsibilities.
We’d also like to see (but don’t require):
- Language skills: You have fluency in languages in addition to English.
- Experience managing a sales and support process using Salesforce: We use Salesforce as our CRM to track opportunities, generate quotations for customers, track account health. SparkMeter uses many customised features within Salesforce, so comfort with adding custom fields and features is a plus.
- Financial modeling: You are capable of producing a pro forma around a specific sale or product line to estimate cash flow.
How to apply:
Apply online for this job here: https://sparkmeter.workable.com/j/0543C4EBF0
As soon as possible